Saturday, July 24, 2004

Employed Again

So I will share one of my unexpected surprises.

I am moving to Kelowna.

I have been hired by my cousin's Real Estate company to represent a resort property on Okanagan Lake as they attempt to sell it off to investors.  Today I was given not only a job, but a car, a cell phone, a laptop, one thousand dollars in petty cash (petty??) and the explanation that I would mostly be creating the job as I went along.  They told me that I could be there for one month or I could be there for four months.  They also mentioned that if this all goes well I will most likely keep some sort of position with 20/20 at their Vancouver office.

I leave Tuesday.

So, I guess I am not moving back to Saskatchewan just yet.  Or at all. How do I feel about this sudden opportunity? Grateful. Shocked. Overwhelmed. Amused. Intrigued. Excited. Disappointed. Amazed.

I see the pros and cons...a paycheck and perks, a job that could potentially be very satisfying and fun, a stunning location to work in, a company that could create more work for me in the future, a reason to stay in BC. Cons-I know no one in Kelowna, I have no clue what this job will truly entail or if I will be able to do it, it is happening really fast and then there is this one other little detail...

But I can't tell you everything in one night.

I feel a little bit like I am on a practical joke TV show - the fact that last week I was sitting in my room, staring at walls, aimless, floating, just trying to breath through my panic and today I have a Toyota Corolla sitting out front, a cell phone in my purse and a whole lot of responsibility...

Sara-Jeanne even called.

I am going to try and use it as a retreat. A retreat from the retreat.  A place to assess where all this 'finding myself' has gotten me. I am going to eat fruit and swim in the lake and create spreadsheets and ride the beginning of what I think might be an emerging wave.

(Cue Music) I'm gonna run through the halls of my high school, i'm gonna scream at the top of my lungs, I just found out there's no such thing as the real world...

Just a lie you've got to rise above.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home